Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Week 12, Head Cold and Cambodia



Well, the week started off a little poorly, with a head cold that I caught on Saturday, sending me home from work on Monday and feeling pretty crummy on Tuesday. The week was mostly dominated by this literature and researcher search for pedagogical practices across Asia Pacific (which as of today has become a literature review (I kid you not, le sigh). While I know I have spoken of this before, and it must seem like this is all I do at work (which it feels like sometimes), there are always little one hour things that come up throughout the day. They mostly are not worthy of mentioning; proof reading articles, reports, revising mission statements, planning out future tasks, and so on. I am ashamed to say that since I have been here, I have very rarely thought about my thesis and upcoming research. Oh, I have thought of it in the sense that ‘Fudge, what is my blasted question’. I have narrowed my topic to the role that English plays in sustainable development and the eradication of poverty in Asia (Economic success in the new AEC needs English needs Education, and so on). But I just can’t seem to see anything that I can define into one sentence and properly research. For all the reading I have done here, for either specifically thesis searching or work to do with UNESCO, nothing has screamed out to me as an area that needs researching. Speaking with my advisor, David last week was reassuring, as he thinks it has much promise and is an area that will have much future research opportunities. But with my time here coming to an end, life is about to get real, real soon.   
 The weekend was much more delightful and one of the best traveling experiences I have had since honeymooning on Maui. Taking Friday off from work (my first day off since I have been here), fellow interns, Radhika and Mas Dino, and myself took a 6am bus all the way to Siam Reap. After dealing with the hustlers and other sorts of Cambodia nuisances, we arrived at our little hostel and took ourselves down to the Khao San road of Cambodia, 'Pub Street'. Although we should have packed so much into our time there, we were content to just have a relaxing afternoon and hop from cafe to cafe and people watch.   Our 4.30 wakeup on Saturday was in order to see the sun rise over famous Angkor Wat. Although the sunrise was nothing special, the whole scene was more than amazing. Walking through and exploring the temple complex could have kept me occupied for at least half a day. 
However, our next stop was the temple sight I have wanted to visit since I was 15 and saw it in a National Geographic magazine. Ta Prohm. Where the trees defied convention and decided to grow on top of the temples that intruded on their jungle. This place I could have lived in for a week before decided to come back the world. Unfortunately, about 1/4 of the outside walls had fallen down, whether because tree roots had taken their revenge, or time just got to it. Although I have seen many jaw-dropping sights since I came to Asia 3 months ago, this was beyond any of them.
5ft vs 5.9ft is a big difference in Bayon

Our last sight for the day was Bayon. A giant temple that had the face of Buddha on all four sides of every pillar. A giant stone temple. It sounds so simple and unremarkable. We didn’t get to Bayon until midday, when it was at least 35 degrees out, so there was not many people wandering around and it often felt like this giant stone sitting out in the sun was all ours. Steep stairs and tiny doorways made the temple seem like a labyrinth at times, Mas Dino (who is 5 foot) had an easy time with it (see picture). After some 7 hours of wandering around the temples, we finally returned into the city and had some rest time before going out one last time to get some Khmer food (I had the opportunity to have Frog curry and crocodile pizza) and a drink or  two before our long journey home early tomorrow.
This coming week sees a lot more work that is coming up to some deadlines, and will not doubt have me staying past five. I am also preparing for a week of Southern island hopping with Christina, who has mercifully done all the booking (thank you!).
On a last note, it was my lovely husband’s 33rd birthday. Last year we celebrated with breakfast on our balcony and golfing on the North Shore. This year, he had a large sleep in and a movie, and I a seven hour bus ride and immigration woes. Hopefully next year will be better for both of us.


No comments:

Post a Comment